Department stores are a mainstay in the Singapore retail scene, and even if e-commerce and shopping online have become more and more prevalent, you can still find die-hard fans of department stores, especially during card member sales events.
One only has to take a look at the queue outside Robinson’s department store during card members’ sales to know that department stores are still a big part of shopping culture here. Here, we give you the lowdown on some of the best department store credit cards in Singapore.
OCBC Robinson’s Card
As the main card of Robinson’s group, OCBC Robinson’s Card comes with no cap on rebates on all merchandise spending in-store, as well as special member discounts during the sales period. One of the key privileges of the card is an entry to closed-door member events where it is not rare for discounts to range between 10% to 50% off normal retail prices.
While the card discounts used to be only applicable to Robinson’s Marks & Spencer and John Little, there is now an expanded list of stores where you can enjoy a 5% rebate all-year-round, including sporting brands like Reebok and Royal Sporting House, as well as luxury apparels like Bebe and Ted Baker.
- Receive a 25% Robinsons bonus discount letter when you spend at least S$500 at Robinsons, Marks & Spencer and/or John Little during qualifying periods
- Enjoy an automatic waiver of your card annual fee with S$5,000 charged per year, of which S$200 must be charged at Robinsons, Marks & Spencer and/or John Little.
- Enjoy 6 or 12 months 0% interest payment plans at Robinsons, Marks & Spencer and John Little.
- What we love: If you like to buy luxury beddings and mattresses, Robinson’s has got a good range and buying during special card members’ events can get you more than 50% savings.
Citibank TANGS Platinum Visa
Are you an avid fan of Studio Tangs’ apparels? The iconic Tangs department store is not only a mainstay along the Orchard Road shopping belt, the retail giant is also always looking for new ways to innovate and keep up with the times.
Beautiful display glasses at its stores, online shopping and free delivery plus a new Tangs membership app are just a few to name. If you want to feel like a VIP when you shop at Tangs, then Citibank TANGS Platinum Visa is the card for you! Free personal shopping services, cash rebates and free weekend parking at Tangs Orchard are just some of the advantage of becoming a card member.
- Earn 10% rebate all year round and 12% rebate on special days at all TANGS Orchard, TANGS VivoCity, TANG+Co & STUDIOTANGS;
- Free delivery with a minimum spend of S$200 at TANGS
- Free basic alteration
- 5% discount at TANGS in Malaysia
- What we love: The high rebates, personal shopping experience and their mobile app.
DBS Takashimaya Card
Which of us has not wandered into Takashimaya when strolling along Orchard? The sprawling department store not only offers hours of retail pleasure, they’ve also got a lovely atrium that is stuffed with discounted goods and a basement of delicious food outlets. Whether you are looking to buy cosmetics, baby apparels or cookware, the store has got it all.
There are two available DBS Takashimaya card – AMEX and Visa. While both work similarly by rewarding cardholders with reward points which can be redeemed for vouchers, the AMEX card offers a slightly higher 6% voucher rebates compared to 5% from the Visa card.
You earn 2 Takashimaya Bonus points for every S$10 spent at the Takashimaya store and you get to redeem S$30 worth of Takashimaya gift vouchers with every 100 bonus points. This translates to a $30 voucher with every $500 you spend at Takashimaya Department store.
- Receive S$3 top-up to your Cash Card when you spend at least S$120 at Takashimaya Department Store.
- Additional 10% savings during selected sale events at Takashimaya Department Store
- Shop at Takashimaya in Japan with your DBS Takashimaya Card and enjoy 5% discount
- What we love: Regular sales events and a comprehensive range of shopping for everyone in the family.
Metro-UOB Platinum card
Metro used to give shoppers the impression that it isn’t quite a place for the younger shoppers, but the fact that it has survived so far and even expanded to take over Robinson’s used-to-be mainstay at Centrepoint does prove that it is still attractive to buyers.
One of the key advantages of the Metro-UOB card is that it gives you a 10% year-round discounts on any spending in-store, unlike the other cards which only offers rebates or reward points. On top of that, you get an additional 5% rebate in the form of Metro$, which can be used to exchange for Metro vouchers.
- 20% off regular-priced items on your birthday month
- Earn Metro$ twice as fast to redeem more Metro Shoppers Cheques on Double Metro$ Day.
What we love: The fact that you get to have a direct 10% discount and earn additional rebates at the same time!
There are so many shopping options in Singapore, and the right credit cards to match them. Besides these cards that are specific only to a certain shopping mall, there are other cards that can be used a lot more flexible to earn rewards on all of your shopping needs, regardless of where you like to shop. Check out the best shopping credit cards in Singapore that we have put together with detailed analysis.
Written by Lynette Tan
This Article Originally Appeared on ValuePenguinRecommend0 recommendationsPublished in