But every perfectly executed wedding requires hours of hard work and meticulous planning. There are guest lists to be made, venues to be reserved, and a bridal package to be decided upon in addition to a number of other matters to be taken care of.
Above all, you need to ensure that the total amount that you intend to spend is within your budget. Trying to anticipate every detail can be a nerve-racking experience, and it can all get a little overwhelming.
To help you plan the wedding you’ve been dreaming of, we’ve prepared the below guide that explains each step and how much you could expect to spend on each component of the wedding.
How much does a wedding at Singapore cost?
While we estimate the average cost of a wedding in Singapore to be around S$40,000, you should be aware that every wedding usually costs more than people initially estimate. Your single largest expenditure will be the wedding banquet. Expect to pay an amount between S$30,000 and S$48,000 for a total of 300 guests. Of course, the price would vary if you invite a greater or lesser number of your friends and relatives.
These are some of the other major expenses that you can expect to incur:
- You would want a professional photographer to capture the celebrations. This would cost between S$2,000 and S$4,000.
- A pair of wedding bands can also set you back several thousand dollars. Your budget for this should be at least S$2,000. It is possible to spend much more if you can afford it.
- Another essential expense is the bridal package. Normally, this will cover a pre-wedding photo shoot, make-up and hairdo for the bride, the use of a wedding gown for the bride and a suit for the groom, and several other items. The cost can vary widely, but the least that you can expect to pay would be S$3,000.
- Set aside between S$3,000 and S$5,000 for your wedding solemnization. This sum will pay for the rental for the location and the reception that will be held after the ceremony.
Ways to reduce your expenses
Many couples tend to go overboard when budgeting for their wedding. When given a choice between several options, they select the most expensive. While this approach will definitely eat into your budget, it is not guaranteed to provide you with the best value for your money.
There are a few simple steps that you can take to ensure that you do not overspend. First, you should make it a practice to speak to at least two or three suppliers for each of the items on your list.
Say, you are in the process of finalising your bridal package. Enquire with a couple of bridal studios about their costs and the facilities that they provide. It is highly likely that you will find a moderately priced studio that provides all your requirements, or you could even get a better deal from studios that try to compete by lowering their fees.
It is also a good idea to speak to friends who have recently tied the knot. You can pick up some useful advice on how to save money, and get referrals from the venues and service providers that they’ve used.
One of the best ways to reduce costs is to target the largest expenditure, your wedding banquet. You will be surprised to learn about the wide variation in costs between hosting the event on a weekend and a weekday. Plan well in advance to get the best rates. Here are a few more tips to cut down on costs:
- Shop around for event venues. Consider a restaurant instead of a hotel for your wedding banquet.
- Save on photographer costs. Ask a friend to fill in instead.
- Book your honeymoon package as early as you can. You can save a substantial amount on hotel rates.
- Want to save on wedding entertainment expenses? Do you have a close friend with singing talent? Ask her to perform at your wedding. You will save several thousand dollars and she will get the opportunity to sing before an audience.
- Use your credit card to pay your wedding expenses. You can accumulate a substantial sum from a cashback credit card.
Still running short of cash?
Weddings involve a great deal of expenditure. Despite your best effort, you may find yourself going over-budget. If you need additional funds, consider a personal loan. Some of them have surprisingly low-interest rates and long repayment tenures.
Don’t forget to enjoy yourself
Preparing for your wedding can be very stressful. There are dozens of tasks to be completed and it is inevitable that everything will not go exactly as planned. If a minor crisis arises, take it in your stride and focus your energy on having a good time. After all, your wedding day is the most memorable occasion of your life.