GREAT MINDS NEVER THINK ALIKE
This is a compendium of recipes for how some people work. The routines, habits, hacks, gadgets and escapes to consistently live their best life at work and at play. While high performance is the common thread, the personalities couldn’t be more diverse, and the gems we found couldn’t be more timely and inspiring.
This interview series is brought by The Great Room Singapore.
- What is your morning hack for a productive day?
Teh Hua Fung: 30-minute swim before work
- What is the best purchase you have done recently that have upped your game at work? (App/ Technology/ Wellness gadget/ nutrition)
Teh Hua Fung: A proper Bluetooth system for my (old) car. So I can take calls while driving!
- What or where do you eat when you are alone for lunch on a workday? Is there a favourite takeaway spot?
Teh Hua Fung: My office at ONE Championship HQ – we have the BEST catered lunches, no joke!
- What is the last book you read that created an impact on you and name 1-2 key takeaways?
Teh Hua Fung: Shoe Dog, by Phil Knight, founder of Nike. It charts the origins of Nike from its early struggles to become one of the most iconic companies in the world today.
(1) To do big business, you need to have the guts to take risks, sometimes big ones. No point dreaming about doing big things if you can’t roll the dice.
(2) There is a heck of a lot of science that goes into shoe-making!
- Do you have a favourite superhero costume/ accessory that you rely on for the most important business meetings?
Teh Hua Fung: Business meeting or not, I never leave home without wearing my wedding ring – I feel very incomplete without it!
- Do you have a favourite place/country you love travelling to that rejuvenates you?
Teh Hua Fung: Not specifically, but I love going to places with “grand” natural scenes eg forests, mountains, lakes or where there is a clear view of the night sky, stars and all. Being in such places makes me (and my worries) feel small and inconsequential, which is rejuvenating.
- Do you have a favourite quote you live by?
Teh Hua Fung: Not really, but I do have a general and strong belief in being kind to people. Everyone has their own struggles, whether you know it or not.
- If you’re not doing what you are doing now, what would you be doing?
Teh Hua Fung: I’m not sure, to be honest – it’s very hard to imagine any other life! I love sports, I love entrepreneurship, I love my colleagues, I love Singapore, and I love putting Singapore on the world map in our industry!
Continue these sentences:
- My favourite time-waster is…watching competitive martial arts and/or basketball highlights online
- If I am having a really challenging day, I will reset by…taking a walk or having a beer (or both, at the same time)
- I have an irrational love for… Chinese preserved plums (suan mei)