GREAT MINDS NEVER THINK ALIKE
This is a compendium of recipes for how some people work. The routines, habits, hacks, gadgets and escapes to consistently live their best life at work and at play. While high performance is the common thread, the personalities couldn’t be more diverse, and the gems we found couldn’t be more timely and inspiring.
This interview series is brought by The Great Room Singapore.
- What is your morning hack for a productive day?
Nellie Wartoft: I’m terrible with morning hacks – I snooze for an hour every day. But I do keep my wardrobe very simple so it’s quick and easy to grab a pair of suit pants, a t-shirt, and a blazer – my go-to outfit.
- What is the best purchase you have done recently that have upped your game at work? (App/ Technology/ Wellness gadget/ nutrition)
Nellie Wartoft: It’s not a purchase but can I plug Tigerhall here? It really helps me get advice and hear what other business leaders are doing when faced with challenges.
It’s pretty lonely to be the sole founder and CEO, so I look to our Thinkfluencers all the time for advice, smart actions to take, and insights across industries.
- What or where do you eat when you are alone for lunch on a workday? Is there a favourite takeaway spot?
Nellie Wartoft: I always eat at my desk if I don’t have a lunch appointment. I try to use lunch to catch up with the team in a more casual way in the office, but I have to say most days my lunch “hour” is more like 10 minutes where I’m rushing to grab a Starbucks bagel and yoghurt downstairs.
- What is the last book you read that created an impact on you and name 1-2 key takeaways?
Nellie Wartoft: Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Human resilience and perseverance really know no boundaries.
- Do you have a favourite superhero costume/ accessory that you rely on for the most important business meetings?
Nellie Wartoft: My orange jacket from HOBBS – it has the same colour as the Tigerhall logo and is the one I feel by far the smartest in.
- Do you have a favourite place/country you love travelling to that rejuvenates you?
Nellie Wartoft: India always gives me energy, buzz and inspiration, and Bali always makes me peaceful and recharged. It would be a dream to commute between Mumbai and Ubud – best of two worlds!
- Do you have a favourite quote you live by
Nellie Wartoft: It’s my own quote and has been a constant truth throughout my life.
“Motivation comes and goes, discipline is what will get you through the lows.”
- If you’re not doing what you are doing now, what would you be doing?
Nellie Wartoft: Teaching! I love teaching – explaining concepts, drawing on whiteboards, asking the right questions, guiding people, and seeing the expressions on people’s faces when they experience an aha-moment.
Continue these sentences:
- My favourite time-waster is…iWonder – a streaming service for high-quality and award-winning documentaries.
- If I am having a really challenging day, I will reset by…spending more time with the team and solving problems with them, or calling my brother. I’m a super extrovert so amazing people is the one thing that makes me feel better.
- I have an irrational love for…skeet shooting.
- My preferred winddown drink is…a glass of Chablis.