GREAT MINDS NEVER THINK ALIKE
This is a compendium of recipes for how some people work. The routines, habits, hacks, gadgets and escapes to consistently live their best life at work and at play. While high performance is the common thread, the personalities couldn’t be more diverse, and the gems we found couldn’t be more timely and inspiring.
This interview series is brought by The Great Room Singapore.
- What is your morning hack for a productive day?
Arissa Cheo: A ten-minute meditation, hugs from my dogs and a big glass of juice.
- What is the best purchase you have done recently that has upped your game at work? (App/Technology/Wellness gadget/Nutrition)
Arissa Cheo: App: Headspace
- What or where do you eat when you are alone for lunch on a workday? Is there a favourite takeaway spot?
Arissa Cheo: I usually have lunch at home (as have been working mainly from home due to COVID-19) and order from Deliveroo— much too often I have one too many Omakase burgers for my own good.
- What is one thing that you would recommend to budding entrepreneurs who are looking to launch their own businesses? (App/Book/Podcast)
Arissa Cheo: Having an experienced mentor to give advice and guide you would be the best thing I would recommend, not an app/book/podcast.
- What is the last book you read that created an impact on you and name 1–2 key takeaways?
Arissa Cheo: The last book I read is one of my favourite books that I re-read again — Immortality by Milan Kundera. It contrasts life & mortality with death & immortality— and that in life, it is necessary for us to identify with ourselves so “passionately to the point of life and death. Because only in this way can we regard ourselves not merely as a variant of a human prototype but as a being with its own irreplaceable essence”— and that illustrates the profound issues of self-identity and what sort of a legacy we wish to leave behind after death.
- Do you have a piece of clothing/outfit/accessory that you rely on to make you feel empowered and confident?
Arissa Cheo: Without my rings, I feel like something isn’t right for some strange reason. Have always over-embellished my fingers with multiple rings since young.
- Do you have a favourite place/country you love travelling to that rejuvenates you?
Arissa Cheo: The Maldives. Or Italy during summer. Any place with clear blue waters and white sandy beaches do it for me.
- Do you have a favourite quote you live by?
“You have to dream in order to be, and believe in order to become”.
- If you weren’t doing fashion right now, what other path would you choose?
Arissa Cheo: If I had taken my studies more seriously, I might have gone into practising Law. If I had gone with my main passion in life, it would be something to do with children or animals.
- How do you unwind at the end of a workday?
Arissa Cheo: Hanging out with family & friends.
Continue these sentences…
- My favourite time-waster is Netflix and oversleeping.
- If I am having a really challenging day, I will reset by getting licks and hugs from my dogs.
- I have an irrational love for my family, close friends & dogs.